NYC NOW - March 5, 2024: Morning Headlines
Episode Date: March 5, 2024Get up and get informed! Here’s all the local news you need to start your day: LuxUrban Hotels has agreed to pay New York City more than a million dollars after violating city laws prohibiting short... term rentals. Meanwhile, the Adams administration is warning of more potential budget cuts. Plus, Queens Councilmember Robert Holden warns residents in his district about door-to-door scams targeting seniors and offering them unsolicited services they don't actually need.
Transcript
Discussion (0)
Welcome to NYC Now.
Your source for local news in and around New York City from WMYC.
It's Tuesday, March 5th.
Here's the morning headlines.
I'm Jene Pierre.
New York City's crackdown on illegal short-term rentals is paying off,
at least in one big settlement with a hotel company.
The city says Lux Urban Hotels made close to $4 million by renting out apartments for a few days at a time
on booking.com and Expedia in violation of laws banning rentals of less than a month.
The city sued, and Lux Urban agreed to pay more than a million dollars to settle the case
yesterday. According to court documents, the company listed apartments in Chelsea, Hell's Kitchen,
Cobble Hill, and other parts of the city 4,300 times between 2019 and 2022.
Lux Urban did not return a request for comment.
The Adams administration is warning of more potential budget cuts.
NYC's Julia Hayward reports from a city council hearing.
Budget director Jack G-Ha says more cuts for city services could come, even if they aren't as big as previously expected.
But let me emphasize, stabilizing the budget does not mean we are out of the hoods.
We still have a long way to go.
His city council testimony comes after Mayor Eric Adams ordered two rounds of cuts to offset the end of
federal pandemic aid and accommodate migrants. The administration plans to shave off an additional 10% in
migrant spending in the budget for this fiscal year and next, which begins in July. But the council is calling
for the cuts to be reversed, citing higher than projected tax revenues.
Robert Holden is warning residents about home repair scams in his district. He says
scammers have been going door-to-door, targeting seniors and offering them unsolicited services. They don't
actually need. His office has received calls from residents saying they've been defrauded of tens of
thousands of dollars. I don't like to see seniors, especially seniors, who work their entire lives
to make ends meet and maybe have some money saved. And they run into these scammers who prey upon
them. My heart breaks. Holden is drafting bill that would require people and companies soliciting
door-to-door to obtain a solicitor license. He's also urging the NYPD and Queen's DA office to take the
matter seriously.
44 degrees this morning, a lot of rain today.
You can expect the high around 52 degrees.
Thanks for listening.
This is NYC now from WNYC.
Be sure to catch us every weekday, three times a day, for your top news headlines
and occasional deep dives.
And subscribe wherever you get your podcasts.
See you this afternoon.
