The World This Hour - The World This Hour for 2025/08/02 at 20:00 EDT
Episode Date: August 3, 2025The World This Hour for 2025/08/02 at 20:00 EDT...
Transcript
Discussion (0)
Hey, how's it going?
Amazing! I just finished paying off all my debt with the help of the Credit Counseling Society.
Whoa! Seriously? I could really use their help.
It was easy! I called and spoke with the Credit Counselor right away.
They asked me about my debt, salary, and regular expenses, gave me a few options, and helped me along the way.
You had a ton of debt and you're saying Credit Counseling Society helped with all of it?
Yup! And now I can sleep better at night.
Ha ha ha! Right on!
When debts got you, you've got us.
Give Credit Counseling Society a call today.
Visit NoMoreDets.org.
From CBC News, The World This Hour, I'm Peter Duck.
The Canadian Union of Postal Workers has rejected what Canada Post calls its final offer.
This leaves both sides considering their options.
Meanwhile, the idea of privatizing mail and parcel delivery is resurfacing, along with
concerns about how rural and indigenous communities would be served by for-profit companies.
CBC's Sarah Law reports.
Canada Post reported $841 million in losses before taxes last year.
It says letter mail has declined by 60% over the last two decades. Vincent
Jaloso says it's time for Canada Post to go private. The associate professor of
economics at George Mason University in Virginia says every time it faces
trouble, consumers pay the price. No competition means no incentives to try to cut costs, to innovate, to be efficient.
Mariah Battist runs Sunday Lace Creations, an Indigenous-owned bead store in Eskasoni,
Nova Scotia.
She fears what would happen in communities that rely on PO boxes.
First Nations communities aren't able to get their mail from, say, UPS or Pure Later.
And so those are the inequities of the people who are affected the most in these kind of
disputes.
Sarah Law, CBC News, Thunder Bay, Ontario.
In Seoul, South Korea, protesters gathered to denounce the American trade war.
President Donald Trump
imposed a 15 percent tariff on goods imported from South Korea. That is down
from an earlier threat of 25 percent, but it will still hurt the country's
economy. In its deal with Trump, South Korea agreed to invest 350 billion
dollars in American projects and about a hundred billion dollars in American
energy. The South Korean government said it would end months of uncertainty.
Another man has pleaded guilty to charges stemming from an arson and extortion scheme.
Edmonton home builders are the targets.
CBC reporter Madeline Smith was in the courtroom.
20-year-old Manav Heer admitted he was part of the criminal conspiracy targeting successful
South Asian developers.
Starting in 2023, home builders started getting violent threats and demands for money.
When they didn't pay, their properties were torched.
Heer admitted to setting some of the fires, as well as participating in an attack on a
private security guard watching over the homes, shooting out the rear window of the guard's
car with an airsoft gun.
According to an agreed statement of facts read in court, police found extensive evidence
of Heer's involvement on his cell phone after he was arrested, including group chats discussing
arson plans and lists of addresses owned by developers targeted in the extortion scheme.
Heer is the second person to plead guilty in the case after several people were arrested
last summer.
A sentencing date for his case will be set later.
Madeline Smith, CBC News, Edmonton.
Northern Nova Scotia is the latest area to grapple with a measles outbreak, and one child
has required hospitalization.
Officials say the cases are still limited to a single community and the risk of wider
spread remains low.
CBC's Carolyn Ray reports.
There are now 44 cases in northern Nova Scotia, including the child who is being treated at the IWK in Halifax.
Public Health says the family called in advance of going to the hospital,
so arrangements were made to ensure no one was exposed when they were brought in.
In a release, it doesn't give the age of the child.
Public Health only says they're in stable condition.
This is the first hospitalization from the cluster in northern Nova Scotia.
Public Health won't say exactly where the cases are located.
They're in a limited community, and it says patients are working closely with officials.
In previous updates to the media, it said the majority
of these patients are young and unvaccinated. Public Health says vaccinations will protect
the vast majority of the province. It continues to encourage people born after 1970 to make
sure they have a booster shot. Carolyn Ray, CBC News, Halifax. And that is your World This Hour.
For news anytime you can visit our website at cbcnews.ca.
For CBC News, I'm Peter Duck.
