The World This Hour - The World This Hour for 2025/10/02 at 20:00 EDT

Episode Date: October 3, 2025

The World This Hour for 2025/10/02 at 20:00 EDT...

Transcript
Discussion (0)
Starting point is 00:00:00 Too many students are packed into overcrowded classrooms in Ontario schools, and it's hurting their ability to learn. But instead of helping our kids, the Ford government is playing politics, taking over school boards and silencing local voices. It shouldn't be this way. Tell the Ford government to get serious about tackling overcrowded classrooms because smaller classes would make a big difference for our kids.
Starting point is 00:00:25 Go to Building Better Schools.ca. A message from the Elementary Teachers Federation of Ontario. From CBC News, the world this hour. I'm Kate McGilfrey. Alberta's reporting the first death in its measles outbreak. Newborn baby has died and critics are doubling down on calls for the province to do more to curb the virus. Sam Samson reports. Officials say the baby died shortly after it was born after contracting measles while in the womb.
Starting point is 00:00:55 Alberta's health minister sent condolences to the family and added anyone planning. a pregnancy should have two doses of measles vaccine prior to conception. Since the measles outbreak began in the spring, many physicians and scientists have pressed Alberta officials to do more to address the virus, including special vaccine clinics and stronger outreach. Alberta NDP health critic Sarah Hoffman added to that criticism. I'm blaming the government for allowing things to get as bad as they are and for the outbreak to have been as terrible as it is.
Starting point is 00:01:26 And Lenora Sackinger, an infectious diseases specialist at the University of Alberta, says disinformation about measles vaccines has to be addressed. This risk to babies can be contained if we actually look at, you know, the true science and the true data around the safety and the effectiveness of these vaccines. Alberta has the second highest number of measles cases so far this year. Sam Sampson, CBC News, Edmonton. British police say the man suspected of carrying out a deadly attack at a synagogue earlier today was a 35-year-old British citizen of Syrian descent.
Starting point is 00:01:58 Jihad al-Shami was shot and killed by police officers in Manchester. He's alleged to have killed two people and sent four others to hospital in a car-ramming and stabbing attack on Yom Kippur. With a potential Gaza ceasefire deal on the line, the White House says the U.S. president needs to hear from Hamas soon. Spokesperson Carolyn Levitt says Donald Trump gave the militant group a four-day deadline to accept his plan. It's a red line that the president of the United States is going to have to draw,
Starting point is 00:02:27 and I'm confident that he will. This is an acceptable plan, and we hope and we expect Hamas should accept this plan so we can move forward with a more peaceful and prosperous Middle East. Hamas is reportedly still reviewing this plan. It calls for the group to disarm and return the remaining hostages held for nearly two years now. In return, Israel would release hundreds of Palestinian prisoners
Starting point is 00:02:48 and end the fighting in Gaza. Israel has already accepted the agreement. Morocco's prime minister says he's ready for dialogue after days of youth-led protests in his country turned deadly. At least three people were killed in Morocco's south after officers opened fire to prevent demonstrators from storming a police station. Protesters chant,
Starting point is 00:03:14 the people want the fall of corruption. A loosely organized youth group has organized days of marches inspired by similar youth-led protests in Asia and Latin America demanding fairer economic opportunities. statistics show youth unemployment in Morocco has reached 35%. And more than 100 people gathered to protest the federal gun buyback program in Sydney, Nova Scotia today. The program is being tested out in Cape Breton. Ottawa says it's a way for gun owners to receive compensation for firearms that are about to become illegal.
Starting point is 00:03:47 Kyle Moore reports. The sound of support from passing drivers has protesters rallied against the government's gun buyback program outside police headquarters in Sydney. Protesters came with signs, shirts, and a loudspeaker to voice their displeasure. The pilot project launched in Cape Breton yesterday. Police say they are now getting interest from people looking to cash in before the amnesty period ends and ownership becomes a crime. But some of the people protesting today say the program unfairly targets law-abiding gun owners,
Starting point is 00:04:19 people like Mel Howley. We're just regular folks that, you know, we're hardworking, law-abiding, taxpaying Canadians. You know, we just feel threatened. Public Safety Canada says there are about 200 banned guns in the three biggest Cape Breton communities and the government expects to buy them back. The protesters say the program will cost too much money and will not reduce gun crime. Kyle Moore, CBC News, Sydney, Nova Scotia. And that is The World This Hour. For CBC News, I'm Kate McGilfrey. Thank you.

There aren't comments yet for this episode. Click on any sentence in the transcript to leave a comment.